Re: undo and combining characters

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 15:28:49 EDT

    Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com> wrote in
    news:3.0.5.32.20020422085428.034194f0@mail.abisource.com:

    > How should undo work for combining characters?

    Well, combining characters may be input in several ways. On my
    Norwegian keyboard, I write é by pressing the Alt Gr + 'the ´
    deadkey', followed by an e. (BTW, note that the decomposed form of
    é in Unicode is e´, not ´e.) On French keyboards, I believe there
    is a separate é key. But exactly how the keypress --> character
    sequence is generated should be done by the OS.

    As for undoing a decomposed character (e.g. e´), I think it's safe
    to undo all characters back to (and including) the last non-
    combining character. For example if you write e´ (where ´ is not
    actually ´, but the combining ´) and press undo, both characters
    (which are probably displayed as one glyph) should be deleted. (In
    practice é would/should be written as the pre-composed é character,
    as per Normalization Form C <URL:
    http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr15/ >. I only use it here
    as an exaple.)

    > What would a native speaker want to happen when you "undo" the
    > entry of a single "on-screen" character?[1] I suspect that
    > creating such an entity may take more than one step (in the
    > input method editor), but should they always be undone
    > individually?

    In case similar to my example above, yes. But not always. See for
    example the romaji input example at <URL:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#sec-CharExamples >. How this should
    be handled is depedant on the actual input method used.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer