Re: undo and combining characters

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 03:52:52 EDT

    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote in
    news:20020423040343.94541.qmail@web9605.mail.yahoo.com:

    > Again, these are not combining characters - these are
    > precomposed characters.

    They may or may not be pre-composed characters. An é can be
    written *either* as a 'é' or as 'e´'.

    > I'm not aware of any system
    > that returns a combining character sequence on
    > pressing a single key or on using a dead key
    > combination.

    Neither do I (probably because so few programs support Unicode,
    and the most used Latin characters exist in pre-composed form).

    But characters may come from other sources, e.g. AbiWord documents
    converted from other formats (or manually edited), manually
    inserted characters (using Alt+nnnn or 'Insert Symbol').

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer