Re: selections and combining characters

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 07:33:59 EDT

     --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote: >
    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote in

    news:20020423025918.53844.qmail@web9608.mail.yahoo.com:

    > > This is why I think the piecetable needs to know
    > about "glyphs
    > > made of multiple codepoints".
    >
    > And also single codepoints displayed as multiple
    > glyphs. :)

    I'm not sure the piecetable needs to know this. It
    should be enough for the renderer to know. Can you
    give an example where the piecetable needs to know?
    It will affect selection though I guess and I hadn't
    though of that ):

    > > Nope it's much harder. Selection needs to know
    > about
    > > the qualities of each character it encounters.
    >
    > The Unicode character database, 'UnicodeData.txt' at
    > information on
    > all this. This database *needs* to be embedded in
    > AbiWord for
    > correct linebreaking, wordbreaking,
    > 'ligature'-creating, sorting,
    > glyph display &c.

    Basically yes. This alone won't give us wordbreaking
    though. For Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Lao, Khmer at
    least there either do not have to be, or are not
    permitted to be spaces between words!

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com