Fwd: Re: selections and combining characters

From: Hubert Figuiere (hub@nyorp.abisource.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 05:52:33 EDT

    ----- Forwarded message from owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com -----

    To: Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com>
    Cc: abiword-dev@abisource.com
    Subject: Re: selections and combining characters
    From: Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com>
    Date: 23 Apr 2002 23:35:39 -0400

    Paul Rohr <paul@abisource.com> writes:
    > For the sake of completeness, I should also ask:
    >
    > How should selections work for combining characters?

    It sure makes sense to me to take the Pango implementation and use it,
    so that AbiWord document selections won't work randomly differently
    than those in the dialogs and other widgetry. ;-)

    IIRC basically Pango uses grapheme boundaries as defined by the
    Unicode spec (I implemented all the horrible text boundary
    algorithms), and then allows language-specific engines to override.
    PangoLogAttr::is_cursor_position is the right flag I think.

    The language-specific engines are the part that will in particular
    suck massively if AbiWord reimplements them, because it will create
    all kinds of weird little behavior differences between AbiWord
    document area and the widgets in the dialogs and other apps.

    Conceivably you want to use the Windows Uniscribe stuff or whatever on
    win32 in addition to using Pango on UNIX, with the same rationale, but
    that could be challenging to impossible to implement, I haven't looked
    into it...

    Anyhow if nothing else there are several threads on this topic in the
    gtk-devel-list or gtk-i18n-list archives I'm pretty sure.

    Havoc

    ----- End forwarded message -----