Re: Pango portability (or rather the lack of it)

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 12:02:16 EDT

     --- Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net>
    wrote: >
    > I have just downloaded the latest release of Pango
    > (1.0.1) and it is
    > not sufficiently portable, even leaving the glib
    > dependence aside.
    >
    > Pango needs some kind of font back end, it supports
    > X, xft, win32
    > and FreeType2. Unfortunately, according to the docs:
    >
    > "Pangowin32 uses the Win32 GDI font API.
    > Pangoft2 uses
    > FreeType2. Neither one is even close to being
    > as useable as
    > the X11backend. They are buggy and slow, and
    > print copious
    > amounts of debugging output."
    >
    > Further, having looked into the the language module
    > directories, it
    > seems that only the Hebrew and Arabic modules can
    > work with
    > FreeType2, the remaining modules work only with X.
    >
    > So, the bottom line is that Pango only really works
    > on Unix. Until
    > this changes, it is not suitable for use in AW.

    Well this comes as a shock to me after all I'd heard!
    I suggest we start complaining to the Pango guys,
    telling them what extra support we need, and after
    hearing what they have to say, and if it really is
    this bad, we should just go with the FreeType/OpenType
    for our next version and probably not expect to
    support the very complex scripts like Devanagari ):

    We should be able to still aim for Hebrew, Arabic,
    Thai, and Vietnamese though. Even if some things are
    not rendered 100% perfectly.

    ):

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====