Re: Pango?

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 05:22:05 EDT

    Hi Andrew,

    > > Unfortunately, Syriac is defined purely semantically
    > > in Unicode, the
    > > shaping is delegated to font renderers, which is one
    > > reason why we
    > > really need OpenType support.
    >
    > Yes. Same with the Indic languages. OpenType alone
    > doesn't make it "just work" either.
    I know, but it would be a start.

    > Is it time for us to have a Hebrew translation of the
    > website?
    If we can find someone to translate it :); no so far even translated
    the AW string set.

    > If we want to support antialiased fonts, where will
    > that support come from on Linux/Unix?
    FreeType does antialising.

    > Since the new Gnome has Pango built in and used
    > everywhere, how does gnomeprint cope in the new Gnome?
    I have no idea. I would not be surprised if it did not cope. According
    to the Pango website the recent Pango development concentrated
    on the needs of a widget set (i.e., GTK 2), and printing is not
    critical for widgets.

    > > us, and *WHO WILL DO THE CODING*. The bidi
    > > experience taught me that not that many
    > > people will do the coding when it comes to
    > > more "exotic" internationalization.
    >
    > I've always been very keen to work on it. I just
    > happened to be on a world trip during most of the
    > work you did.
    I know, and it was not a jab at you, or anyone in particular.

    Tomas