Re: Release cycle (was Re: New development plans)

From: Sam Trenholme (abiword_bugs@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 01:40:25 EDT

    > This, of course, needs a definition of showstopper.
    > Suggestions:
    >
    > a) Doesn't build dist. Obviously.
    > b) Crash on core function. Opening a standard .abw
    > document, for
    > example. We'd need a list of these in the test
    > suite.
    > c) Dataloss on core function. The bug in, er, 0.99.2
    > or so which
    > resulted in all style information being lost on save
    > would be an
    > example.

    These are all legitmate definitions of showstoppers.
    I would add a fourth one:

    d) Significant loss of functionality. Examples of
    this would be:

    * A last-minute change breaking the ability to export
    PSION documents

    * Multi-level undo being broken (this happened)

    * The strings file for a given language becoming
    unparsable (this also happened)

    In cases like this, I think it would be fair to revert
    the code (or strings file) in question if the
    maintainer of the offending code was not around to fix
    things properly.

    - Sam