Fwd: Re: Pango?

From: Hubert Figuiere (hub@nyorp.abisource.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 05:50:22 EDT

    ----- Forwarded message from owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com -----

    To: Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
    Cc: Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net>,
            abiword-dev@abisource.com
    Subject: Re: Pango?
    From: Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com>
    Date: 26 Apr 2002 11:22:14 -0400

    Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> writes:
    > A solution is to just use gnome-font but then we don't have a gtk-only
    > build for unix. That wouldn't bother me very much. gnome will ship with
    > late model Solaris and HP_UX anyway and we have AbiWord-1.0.x for small
    > devices using linux.

    GnomeFont is deprecated. It has its own config files and doesn't match
    the display font API.

    We have to move libgnomeprint to just use the Pango font API, which
    means using fontconfig underneath in the end, so we don't have
    multiple config files.

    The only way to have the same fonts in all apps and on the printer is
    to have everyone on UNIX using fontconfig.

    Havoc

    ----- End forwarded message -----