Pango on windows

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 16:46:28 EDT

    I've been playing a bit with pango, using the windows native backend.

    First, make the whole thing compile and run was a pain. Maybe it's just me
    been a unix guy, but it took me several hours to get the whole thing running
    (and I was using precompiled packages for glib...)

    Basically, to compile pango we have 3 choices:

    1) To use autoconf/automake. It seems that this option is only for brave
    souls. You need state-of-the-art/bleeding-edge versions of
    libtool/autoconf/autoconf & friends. It's the "supported" way to compile.

    2) To use nmake makefiles. It's the second more or less "supported" way to
    compile.

    3) To use make makefiles. The makefiles are obsolete. Tor (the guy that
    did the gtk+ port to win32, impressive work, btw) was using makefiles before
    he managed to get autostuff working in win32 (I think that he has patched
    almost all the auto* chain to make it work in windows).

    I wanted to take a look at pango without worring too much about the
    compilation process, so the most direct way seemed to be to use the nmake
    makefiles.

    One problem that I hit it that the nmake makefiles supposes that you're
    building everything (and that includes *EVERYTHING*) from source. To make
    the makefiles work, you will also need perl (and double check that your
    version prints the ends-of-line a la windows!). Ah, and the makefiles are
    not so "up to date" as the README files says... so I fixed the nmake
    makefiles to make them work here. If somebody is interested, ask for the
    makefiles and I will send them.

    So now I have a more or less working pango build (I've not yet managed to
    build the FT2 backend).

    The windows native backend seems to be in a more or less functional state.
    The only big problem that I've seen is that the size of the fonts was
    (*absolutely*) wrong. If you ask for a font size of 12, pango renders the
    font with a size of ~7.5 points.

    I've patched pango to fix this problem, so if you want to play with the
    windows backend apply the attached patch before you start the fun.

    And now, anybody wants to join me getting a bit of fun?

    Cheers,

    --
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela
    cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr