Re: Release cycle (was Re: New development plans)

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 18:59:09 EDT

    On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Kenneth J.Davis wrote:

    > Jesper Skov <jskov@zoftcorp.dk> wrote on 4/28/2002 9:03:58 AM:
    > >
    > >On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 12:03, David Chart wrote:
    > >> One observation -- if we run tests with scripting enabled, scripting
    > >> must be enabled in the distribution builds. I can't remember if it is.
    > >
    > >I tried using perl scripting. But it didn't work as documented, and I
    > >have no real patience to speak of, so I ditched it.
    > >
    > >I'll be using AbiCommand instead, which provides a language neutral
    > >approach to do the same - and builds as a small stand-alone plugin. Much
    > >better! And it works (modulo missing functionality which I'll add along
    > >the way).
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >Jesper
    >

    > Just keep in mind that neither of these currently work on Windows.
    > (At least, I haven't been able to get a Windows build with ABI_OPT_PERL enabled,
    > and AbiCommand includes some Unix specific references.)

    Windows needs a NullGraphics class. Once this is in place it would be easy
    enough to build abstract accessor classes and platform specific code as
    needed.

    Regarding visual feedback, if you run the visualedit mode to pop up an
    abiword window, you can run abicommand commands through the command line
    interface and see the results in realtime in the window. If Jesper's
    interested, a rather easy extension of abicommand would be the ability to
    run "macros" of commands in files. As these are executed, the tester
    can see the result on screen.

    Cheers

    Martin