Re: commit: 1234 (scroll wheel zoom)

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 01:35:48 EDT

     --- Jesper Skov <jskov@zoftcorp.dk> wrote: > On Mon,
    2002-04-29 at 00:45, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra

    http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/04/21/051228&mode=nested

    > > Havoc's argument has many flaws, most of which are
    > based on the
    > > assumption that all users are dumb. When he says
    > must, he means 99%
    > > which is, in practice, all.
    > [snip]
    > > Even though you're an 3133t hax0r, you're
    > naturally lazy.
    > > If you can have all your options in the same
    > dialog, set or not set,
    > > you'll find faster what you need than if you have
    > to read (INSERT LOADS
    > > OF DOCS) just to find that teensy option (if it
    > even exists at all).
    >
    > I don't consider myself dumb, but I do find that too
    > many options is
    > more of a problem than it is a help.
    >
    > Have you ever tried looking for an option in xchat?
    >
    > The many options in many different windows makes it
    > almost impossible to
    > find a particular option.
    >
    > No, I'd prefer a text file any day, coz I can
    > *search* in it.
    >

    > However, there's no law against new ways of doing
    > things. So I'd
    > suggest, in addition to the existing pref tabs, we
    > get one that's called
    > "raw options", "advanced", or something like that,
    > containing *all*
    > options.
    >
    > It should *not* include buttons, check boxes, fields
    > and whatnot laid
    > out in the normal (and very space consuming way). It
    > should contain a
    > list with two columns:
    >
    > option name setting
    >
    > the setting column should be able to hold check
    > boxes, fields and
    > whatever necessary. It should also allow searching.
    >
    > The option name column should have tooltips
    > describing the action of the
    > individual option.
    >
    > And the list should be searchable, and sortable on
    > both option name and
    > setting.
    >
    > This has several advantages that I can see:
    >
    > o options collected in one place
    > o options available in AbiWord, not just the config
    > file
    > o doesn't take up gazillions of preference tabs on
    > acount
    > of needing fancy&bloaty layout.
    > o doesn't need development time to make said layout
    > o allows quick overview of what options are
    > enabled/disabled
    > o allows searching for options
    >
    > The only disadvantage I can think of is that there's
    > probably no
    > existing widget that does all this for us. So it has
    > to be programmed.
    > But then, it only has to be programmed once.

    (For each platform).

    I have to say that I *love* lots of preferences and
    I'm usually strongly in favour of
    a) "Just Work",
    b) Provide a few obvious settings in an easy-to-find
    place
    c) Provide lots of other settings somewhere
    that only geeks, wizards, gurus, and those told how to
    fix a problem by a geek, wizard, or guru need know
    about.

    I liked the way Pine did this, the JavaScript prefs
    files for Mozilla, and the MSIE "Internet Options/
    Advanced". I really don't mind how we go about it as
    long as we don't lose flexibility.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com