Re: use gnu gettext

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 12:10:31 EDT

    On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 11:58, Mike Nordell wrote:
    > Does gettext support the UTF-32 character encoding and the UCS-4 characters
    > AW apparently is going to (begin to) use?

    AFAIK, gettext can handle only the char datatype. However, you can store
    encoded text inside of the file. So we could have, for example, UTF-8
    text stored inside of the .po file. We could then convert that to a
    native locale, UTF-32, or whatever else we'd like to as needed quite
    easily. The new GTK+ dialogs expect UTF-8, for example. Win32 might
    expect UCS-2. All we'd have to do is pass the correct target endcoding
    to the getString() method. This is no different than the "encoding"
    parameter contained inside of our XML strings files, which (it should be
    noted), we don't honor.

    Finally, yes, Japanese and Chinese translations exist for quite a few
    GNU and GNOME projects that use gettext, so this is entirely possible.

    Dom