Re: Next Generation Layout document.

From: John L. Clark (jlc6@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 06:49:45 EDT

    On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:19:41AM +0100, F J Franklin wrote:
    > Here's a copy (complete with list bugs??):
    >
    > http://www.abisource.com/~fjf/next_layout.html

    About the list bugs - they are only in the numbered headings in this
    example, and the reason is that there is no natural mapping between this
    broken-up list and an html (by definition) contiguous list[1].

    However, the correct formatting is supported (very technically speaking)
    by the CSS2 specification[2]. I sent an email to the list pre-1.0 about
    this issue[3], but I didn't get a response. In brief, this aspect of
    the CSS spec is not adequately supported by any browser (to my
    knowledge). If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them.
    However, the current HTML exporter does export valid HTML, it may just
    lose some of the formatting where such collisions as this occur. I
    would welcome any suggestions.

    Take care,

            John

    [1] - http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html#h-10.2