Re: resolution and zoom issues

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 10:31:53 EDT

     --- Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net>
    wrote: >
    > Currently we assume a square pixel and use same
    > resolution for
    > both x and y axes. Should we change this? (FreeType
    > uses two
    > separate resolutions.)
    >
    > Also, there is a potential problem with zoom. If I
    > understand it
    > correctly, when we zoom text, we simply request a
    > proportionally
    > bigger font from the system. Unfortunately, IIRC,
    > the width of
    > glyphs does not necesarily scale linearly with
    > height, but rather
    > often the ratio is adjusted (by the font designer)
    > to look best at
    > different sizes. I have observed on windows that the
    > difference
    > between the ratios at different point sizes can be
    > quite dramatic,
    > resulting in non-wysiwig behaviour. One way to get
    > around this
    > would be to change the resolution and keep the same
    > point size of
    > the font when we request it from the system; I think
    > with FreeType
    > this would be fairly straight forward.

    Do you mean that FreeType would get the outline for
    the smaller size and we would zoom the outline before
    rendering it? This sounds pretty cool if we can do
    it!
    Maybe it's something to add to FreeType or Pango or
    maybe one of them can already do this?

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com