Re: Next Generation Layout document.

From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 11:21:45 EDT

    At 12:41 AM 5/1/02 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
    >On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
    >> (1) Where in the PT will the text of these notes be stored? Are we
    >> going to have it embeded within the main text after the footnote
    >> marker (I think that's what rtf does), or, are we going to have it in a
    >> separate section, say, at the end? I think I would go with the
    >> former, and seems to me that is what you are proposing, right?
    >
    >In the main run of frags like regular text. We'll have to write
    >special case code in fv_View for these notes.

    This may make some portions of the user experience harder to implement. For
    example:

      keyboard navigation/selections
      ------------------------------
      The next/prev logic in the main body text would need to skip over any
      inline note frags. That's probably not too bad, but moving through the
      notes is harder, because you'll need to keep the note frags linked
      together.

      find/replace
      Usually, the UI first searches the main flow of the text, then goes
      through the notes.

    Note that both of these are easier to implement if the notes are stored out
    of line in a separate flow of blocks. AFAICT, the only implementation cost
    for that approach would be storing two-way pointers between the footnote
    reference and the note frag.

    Paul