Re: modest proposal -- use po, but not mo?

From: Christian Biesinger (cbiesinger@web.de)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 11:57:26 EDT

    On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 08:44:32AM -0700, Paul Rohr wrote:
    > At 09:23 AM 4/30/02 +0200, Christian Biesinger wrote:
    > >Hm, I just realized that your approach does not help the case of identical
    > >english strings in different contexts. They'd get merged together (at
    > >least that's what the gettext tool does).
    >
    > Argh. That's the gettext "feature" that Andrew and others are complaining
    > about.

    Well, that's the way gettext works, though.

    > >If your tool would put the same
    > >string more than once in the file, this would probably confuse translation
    > >tools.
    >
    > Hmm. Given that translators are the folks who hate the feature, then I'd
    > think they'd see this as a worthwhile bug to get fixed in their favorite
    > tools.

    Nevermind my comment here, since I suggested above to use the normal
    gettest tool, which does merge the strings together.

    > But then I'd also expected that they'd care enough to gravitate towards
    > ID-centric tools, too. Shows that my intuition isn't always well-grounded,
    > at least in this area. ;-)

    Well, I personally prefer the gettext approach, both as translator and
    programmer - as translator, I easily see what the english string is, and
    need not guess from an ID, and as programmer, I just need to write
    _("foo") to have a translatable string.

    But true, it does have the disadvantage that the same string has always
    the same translation...

    > >> 3. transform the result
    > >> ------------------------
    > >> At *build time*, instead of running a gettext tool to create a .MO file,
    > >> run one that creates a strings file with the appropriate IDs.
    > >
    > >That would require a tool which has a mapping of IDs to strings...
    >
    > That mapping shouldn't be too hard to get. The macroized header file where
    > all the strings are found *already* maps IDs to strings -- indeed, that's
    > what it's *for*. You "just" need to dereference appropriately.

    Sure, but from a very quick glance I had the impression that the actual ID
    is hidden by some macro (named dcl or something like that), so it might be
    a bit of extra work.

    But true, this is not really a problem.

    > And yes, moving the charset conversion from runtime (where it's done now) to
    > build time (as you suggest) might be helpful. It won't save us the
    > footprint cost of including iconv in the binary, but it might decrease the
    > working set on launch.
    >
    > >Or would that be incompatible with the strings file format? I've never
    > >taken a look at them...
    >
    > Strings files are XML and include an encoding declaration.

    OK, fine - I thought they were normal textfiles, something like
    SOME_ID=The translation

    Hm, I deleted too much of the quote, here's my comment on the convert
    encoding on runtime vs. on compile time:

    I mainly suggested that for performance reasons, not so much memory
    reasons.

                                                     -- Benjamin Franklin