Re: Swahili translation needed

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 22:36:33 EDT

     --- Sudhakar Chandra <thaths@aunet.org> wrote: > You
    wrote in soc.culture.kenya:
    > > I work on the free cross-platform word processor
    > Abiword. You might have
    > > heard of it. We plan to add support for the
    > Swahili language. Get it
    > > from http://www.abisource.com
    > > We're creating a test file to show or support for
    > multiple languages and
    > > we'd like the following English sentence
    > translated into Swahili please:
    > > "When the world wants to talk, it speaks
    > Unicode."
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry. I don't have an answer to your question.
    > But I do have another
    > question for you. I am a use of Abiword on Linux.
    > I am currently
    > working with a non-profit organization to provide a
    > small footprint
    > Linux installation to a remote part of Laos. We are
    > trying to find a
    > word processor that supports editing Lao characters.
    > I was wondering
    > whether AbiWord would be able to do this. There are
    > native X unicode
    > fonts for the Lao language as well as TTF fonts.

    Wow this is just the kind of use I want AbiWord to
    serve. Right now Lao is possible on Linux but not
    very intuitive. You have to set up XFree86 to use
    TTF fonts - many people find this difficult. You also
    have to edit the AbiWord .profile (sorry I don't know
    the exact name) and turn off the RemapGlyphs option.
    AbiWord currently doesn't know about the vowels and
    tone marks that Lao needs so some things are not
    right.
    But none of us here speak or read Lao so what we
    really
    need is somebody who can tell us exactly what is wrong
    so we can fix it. We are currently redesigning
    AbiWord now that we are past 1.0 and one of our
    primary focuses is international script support.

    It would be best for your orginization, us developers,
    and all Lao and Thai users for people like yourself
    to give us the valuable feedback we will need to make
    Lao work properly. Please try it out, file bugs for
    specific problems you find at
    http://bugzilla.abisource.com and feel free to ask for
    help on the AbiWord user or developer mailing lists.

    Thanks very much for your interest. Very timely.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com