Giveaway free copies of abiword to random strangers

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 13:15:34 EDT

    abiword on CD

    autorun.inf
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/autorun/autoplay_cmds.asp

    Macs are unable to use the AutoRun (autorun.inf) facility which works on
    PCs but there is a Mac facility called AutoStart which works if QuickTime
    2.0 or later is installed and AutoStart is enabled.

    Whatever happened to this project?

    Mass distribution of Abiword on Compact Disk (searching google for CD is
    pain in the ass, acronyms causing problems again).

    And is there anything in CVS from when Sourcegear put out a CD-ROM of
    Abiword 0.7 ?
    http://www.abisource.com/pr_07.phtml

    In my recent travels i found the conversation inevitably drifting to
    Computers (i just cannot help it) and telling people about how great
    Abiword (correcting myself and pronouncing at "Abbey" Word) is how i spend
    a large amount of my time doing volunteer tech support, and testing (i
    love crashing stuff, crashed the Virgin Atlantic in flight enterainment
    system, it runs linux but anyway). In particular there was this girl i
    was talking to and i really wanted to give it to her, a copy of Abiword
    that is, so i am seriously considering doing something about putting
    Abiword on CD.

    Most likely i will start with something dead simple ...

    Abiword on a CD

    on my recent trip to Boston i found myself several times telling people
    "So i help out with this free word processor called Abiword. I really
    wish i had a copy here i could give you".

    I remember that Sourcegear had a CD version of 0.7 (or at least i remember
    a picture of it on the website).

    I remember Aiken suggestion Abiword on a CD but did not hear anything back
    from him.

    So i plan to put together a simple CD with Abiword on it.
    Windows version first, and RPMs next.

    autorun.inf
    abiword.ico
    setup.exe

    man mkisofs
    more information needed but that is basically it
    need some makefiles to wrap this up.

    Alternatively if we could get a bunch of UK Magazines to carry Abiword on
    their coverdisks and use them for a cheap supply of CDs that would be
    great too.