Re: layout/screen units mess

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 02:22:39 EDT

     --- Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
    wrote: > On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 23:55, Tomas Frydrych
    wrote:

    > > I feel very strongly that before we start even
    > putting out betas for
    > > version 2 we have to get rid of the screen/layout
    > units dichotomy.
    > > The fact that we do some layout calculations in
    > screen units and
    > > some layout calculations in layout units, coupled
    > with the way we
    > > scale font metrics from one to the other, is
    > responsible for probably
    > > over 90% of our wysiwyg bugs. We have been trying
    > hard to fix
    > > many of these for long time, and we are just
    > running in circles.
    > >
    > > The paradox of it all is that, AFAIK, there is no
    > real reason why we
    > > would need both sets of units and at places we
    > just shamelessly
    > > scale from one to the other.
    > >
    > > What I am proposing is that we remove both sets of
    > units and
    > > replace them with a single unit system identical
    > to the one used by
    > > Pango, where there are 1024 units to a screen
    > pixel. This makes it
    > > possible to quickly translate the internal units
    > to screen units and
    > > vice versa using shifts, and would provide us with
    > a precision rougly
    > > 15 times greater than our layout units do. It
    > would also make the
    > > eventual transition to Pango simpler.
    > >
    > > This would also result in a substantial
    > performance improvement, for
    > > measuring character widths is one of the
    > bottlenecks and having
    > > single set of units would reduce the processing to
    > half.
    > >
    > > Now, if anyone has a good reason for keeping to
    > coordinate
    > > systems, then please speak up now.
    > >

    > HI Tomas,
    > I haven't followed what you and Joaquin have been
    > doing closely enough
    > I guess. The last time I looked we needed to use
    > widths from screen
    > coordinates obtained directly from the on-screen
    > glyph sizes to do
    > horizontal text layout. We couldn't scale from high
    > resolution printing
    > sized glyphs to the screen resolution glyph becaus
    > of hinting info at
    > low resolution.
    >
    > Has this been fixed now? Where do we currently use
    > high resolution glyph
    > sizes to calculate screen layout?

    I'm not the expert on this but isn it at all related
    the fact that Xft actually renders at a higher
    resolution into subpixels for the antialiasing, and
    doesn't actually use any low-level hinting?
    I guess it's probably not at least in the cross-
    platform case. But can we take advantage of this
    fact?

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com