Re: RFC: the new unit system

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 08:04:29 EDT

    On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

    > In order to minimize impact of rounding errors, we need the
    > resolution we do our layout at to be significantly higher than the
    > resolution at which we will produce the output.
    >
    > The issue I am not entirely certain about is whether (a) this system of
    > units should be used throughout our code and translation to screen
    > units
    > be made wherever system API is accessed, or, (b) the internal units
    > should
    > only be used inside the layout and graphics classes, while the GUI
    > classes
    > (the frame, toolbars, ect) would continue to use the system units.
    >
    > The advantage of (a) is consistency, the main advantage of (b) is
    > avoiding unnecessary converions within the GUI code, as well as not
    > needing to interfere with the present GUI code, save at the
    > boundaries between it and our layout and graphics classes. I
    > personally am slightly inclined toward (b), but have not made up my
    > mind and would appreciate some input.

    HI Tomas,
             At this stage I would definately go with (b). Just use the high
    resolution units for our layout classes. The gtk port still has lots of
    bugs and we have to work through all these first.

    Going with (b) now minimizes the work we need to do all at once. Later on
    and if we feel the need we can continue on to (a).

    My 1.27345 Yen.

    Cheers

    Martin