Re: commit: abi: experimental resource manager

From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 03:34:38 EDT

    On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 04:54, F J Franklin wrote:
    > the new classes shouldn't affect anyone at the moment; there's an auto*
    > option to enable it, but I don't really recommend trying it just yet.
    >
    > o experimental XAP_Resource & XAP_ResourceManager classes for handling a
    > document's images/objects/hyperlinks

    I have been thinking a lot lately about writing an XHTML importer/exporter
    that can handle CSS, PHP, JavaScript, SVG, MathML, and hyperlinks to
    external images/stylesheets.

    I think at the moment AbiWord deals with PNG and SVG, and these only as
    visible images, but for me there is a need also for multiple non-visible
    objects.

    (PHP & JavaScript, and indeed processing instructions & comments
    generally, will need some kind of marker - click to view/edit - in the
    document, maybe club, diamond, heart, spade :-)

    So that's one aim of the new class - to handle these various objects.
    It will also allow the same object to used in multiple places within a
    document, though we'll need to be careful about that.

    The second aim is to effectively divorce objects from *references*
    to objects. Base64-encoded objects can be grouped at the end of the .abw
    file in a list:

     <resource id="ri_000000">
    3ab788346fa6c...
     </resource>
     <resource id="ri_000001" content/type="image/png">
    346fa6c3ab788...
     </resource>
     <resource id="ri_000002" content/type="text/css">
    788346fa6c3ab...
     </resource>
    </abiword>

    and referred to earlier in the object as

            <image href="#ri_000001" ... />

    (or whatever). And if instead you put

            <image href="http://me.com/my.png" ... />

    then it doesn't matter; the resource manager will figure out what to do.

    Finally, I think the resource manager should be multi-threaded, so that
    image download and rendering interferes as little as possible with
    document processing. There's nothing more annoying than trying to scroll
    through a document and having to pause for 10s each on pages with
    images...

    Regards, Frank

    Francis James Franklin
    F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

    "No, she really likes me. She told me I look like Britney Spears, and why
    would you say that to somebody you don't like?"
                                                               --- Elle Woods