Re: feasible smart quote solution

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (lister@huftis.org)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 04:45:03 EDT

    Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net> wrote in
    news:3D5ACC3C.31654.4D74BE@localhost:

    > Sure, we provide an algorithm that works well for the most
    > common cases; we provide a way of turning the whole thing off
    > if the user does not like it; we provide a way to stop
    > converting a straight quotation mark into a curved one in an
    > individual case (such as '' for inches).

    Note that I'm not opposed to smart quotes conversion. I *like* it.
    Proper typography is something I value highly. But I'm opposed to
    *not* including the actual characters in the document, and instead
    doing an on the fly conversion to 'smart' quotes. Then you'd have
    to implement some sort of smart quotes support in each and every
    export filter, when copying to the clipboard for pasting to other
    application (pasting to AbiWord wouldn't work), &c. And it
    wouldn't really solve the original problem, but instead create
    tons of new ones.

    > (2) She eally wants a straight quote. To stop displaying a
    > round one she will type alt+spacebar, straight quote, and gets
    > a straight quote.

    *Much* to complicated!

    > Now, (2) is not going to be exessively common, except say the
    > inches,

    And the ditto mark. Actually, " should neiter be used for inces
    nor ditto marks. But not all fonts contain the inches/ditto
    character (the widely used 'Times New Roman' on Windows does,
    though).

    > One of the things I do not like about Word's
    > handling of round quotes is that once the character has been
    > converted, you need to delete and reinsert it to get it
    > changed.

    No, you just press 'Ctrl + Z'.

    >>> Further, with very little extra effort, the quote
    >>> translation could be locale- specific,
    >> It should be language specific, not locale specific.
    >
    > What I meant was that the lang property of the text will be
    > taken into account.

    OK.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer