Re: commit head: quotes handling in the shaping engine

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 07:39:48 EDT

    On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

    > Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:07:00 +0200
    > From: Karl Ove Hufthammer <lister@huftis.org>
    > To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
    > Subject: Re: commit head: quotes handling in the shaping engine
    >
    > Alistair Vining <alistair.vining@ntlworld.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Shouldn't/doesn't alt+spacebar open the titlebar menu on
    > > Windows?
    >
    > Yes.

    double plus yes

    you really should avoid using Alt for keybindings in a crossplatform
    application (much to the annoyance of some Mozilla users)
    Alt is the Command key in BeOS (and possibley others)
    and reserved in a wide variety of situations on windows.

    is Ctrl space used for anything? how does Microsoft Word or OpenOffice
    handle these kind of spaces.

    Usability Rule of thumb.
    see how other programs do it. dont blindly copy it.
    think why they do it that way (good and bad features).
    only do it different if you can
    justify that your way is substantially better.
    It cannot simply be just as good, it needs to be better as you are
    forcing users familiar with the different method to relearn.

    /me slowly unlearning about 4 years of Mac OS and about 7 years of
    MS windows.

    Later
    Alan