Commit (STABLE): genecide on the snprintf, finish fixing 3522, cleaner build on hpux

From: Mark Gilbert (webmaster@dofty.zzn.com)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 00:43:18 EDT

    Some of the snprintf fixes got forported.
    I tested all changes as always, found a way to invoke the function with
    the help of gdb and breakpoints. If it didn't crash and worked as
    expected, committed.

    So anyway, I'm glad to be rid of 3522 (osf bug).

    I also commented the hpux snprintf hacks that are no longer needed.
    Martin if you could test I would be much obliged.