Re: Psiconv

From: frodol@dds.nl
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 17:08:56 EDT

    Mark Gilbert wrote:

    > Greetings.
    > As you know well, AbiWord uses psiconv for psion impexp. AbiWord-HEAD
    > no longer requires it (only the psion plugin). AbiWord-STABLE
    > (currently ABI-1-0-0-STABLE) does, and that won't change. Being stable
    > co-maintainer, release coordinator, and build engineer, I'm thrice
    > concerned that unix variants which lack native snprintf cannot build abi
    > without third party snprintf which has proven to be unreliable at best.
    >
    > I've cleaned out all the snprintf from abi/, but psiconv's error.c still
    > poses a problem. I thought (well, dom thought, and I concur) I'd go to
    > you before implementing some adhoc quickfix.
    > Help appreciated.

    Hi Mark,

    I am not so sure I understand your problem.

    Are you really suggesting not to use snprintf, but the old sprintf instead?
    While every security-minded programmer is avoiding sprintf because of
    string overflow problems? Or are referring to vsnprintf, the variant
    which can take a variable number of parameters?

    Thanks,
      Frodo

    --
    Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl>  PGP key and more: http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol