Embedding & subsetting [was Re: Commit: AbiMagick graphics class sort-of works]

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 07:10:46 EDT

    Hi!

    --- Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote:
    > Hi Joaquin,
    >
    > > Dom, do you know if Chema has font embedding &
    > > subsetting already working?
    >
    > AFAIK, the old GnomePrint used with Gnome 1.4 had
    > this capability.

    I think that embedding was there, but not subsetting.

    > I'm
    > not sure about the status of his XFT work, including
    > embedding and
    > subsetting fonts.

    Last time I spoke with Chema about all that (about 1
    month ago), he didn't have subsetting. And maybe in
    the new version he still doesn't have embedding of TT
    fonts (I'm pretty sure that he should have at least
    embedding of type1 fonts).

    Anyway, the sooner we have gnome-print2 support, the
    soon we're likely to find & fix all these rough
    corners. But it should be noted that we should have
    at least TT embedding before a public release with Xft
    enabled.

    Cheers,

    =====
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela