Re: Hebrew spellcheck

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 23:14:15 EDT

     --- Uri David Akavia <uridavid@netvision.net.il>
    wrote:
    > Hello.

    Ma Nishma.

    > While browsing the list (I am not subscribed), I saw
    > your message.

    I'm CCing this reply to the list so others can
    comment.

    -
    > they are also not supported in all fonts.
    >
    > HEBREW POINT HATAF PATAH
    > HEBREW POINT HATAF QAMATS
    > HEBREW POINT HATAF SEGOL
    > HEBREW POINT HOLAM
    > HEBREW POINT METEG
    > HEBREW POINT QUBUTS
    > HEBREW POINT SEGOL
    > HEBREW POINT SHEVA
    > HEBREW POINT SHIN DOT
    > HEBREW POINT TSERE
    >
    > I don't know about the rest of the characters, but I
    > can ask on the Ivrix mailing list.
    > You can also check
    > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/unicode/1255.htm

    I know Microsoft supports all of Unicode but this was
    not the question. The question was whether Microsoft
    supports them without Unicode. Microsoft fonts have
    used Unicode for many years but most of the rest of
    Windows was 8 bit only.
    For instance, can you use these characters in the old
    Notepad before Windows 2000? I know you can use them
    in Word .doc, .rtf, and HTML documents.

    This is important because the ispell and aspell
    spell-checkers do not work very well for Unicode so
    we need to convert words to an 8-bit encoding first.

    Apologies if some of the technical terms are a bit
    opaque but it's a technical issue.

    > If you like, I can forward your original message to
    > the Ivrix mailing list (a mailing list dedicated to
    > Hebrew in Unix) and ask them to check what is
    > supported and what is not.

    Sure that's a good idea. It's good for us to get more
    feedback on 18n issues since most of the developers
    only know Western European languages.

    L'hitra'ot

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====