Re: Amharic translation

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 19:01:01 EST

     --- Daniel Yacob <locales@geez.org> wrote:
    > Andrew,
    >
    > I've got a question for ya when you get time. I'm
    > told you're the AbiWord windows font expert.

    Well I'm maybe the main internationalization expert
    but I don't yet know everything I'd like to -
    especially with fonts under some OSes.

    > I've tried using AbiWord on Win XP with Amharic (I
    > renamed its translation file es-ES and set UTF-8
    > properly in the file). Changed my GUI font to use a
    > Unicode font with Ethiopic, set the es-ES locale,
    > and tried AbiWord.

    You should be able to use the correct locale though
    for Windows if the OS doesn't support it you will have
    to edit your AbiWord profile.

    You probably also want to look for recent developer
    builds, look for "HEAD". You should be able to find
    them via www.abisource.com

    > AbiWord then displays complete emptiness in the
    menus
    > -except for a few english words that were not
    > translated. It does appear to be using the font I
    > set for applications (IE definitely begun using it
    > correctly) but letters are getting lost. Initially
    > the document encoding was set for Latin 1 and the
    > UTF-8 letters were displayed in litteral form.
    >
    > Any ideas for how to fenaggle settings to get the
    > vocabulary display right?

    We have problems in this area relatively frequently,
    especially with very obscure languages which none of
    the developers know. A lot of changes have gone in
    since the the last STABLE release too. Also I'm short
    on time right now and don't have the source or an
    installed AbiWord to play with so hopefully some of
    the guys on the developer list, especially those
    who've
    worked with exotic languages, will be able to help.
    Somebody recently got Yiddish working and I believe
    that was done using all Unicode/UTF-8

    Sorry for not being able to answer off the top of my
    head!

    Andrew Dunbar.

    MX8NHX8N3X8B(X8B=(.&(F.&,C>&)H^&)HN&+JR#AB8OABI7AB8L@X8NIX8J2

    =====