Re: How to include hindi in abiword, translation

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 18:56:49 EST

     --- jitendra <jitendras@vsnl.com> wrote:
    > I have installed abiword 1.0.2 and also installed
    > raghu anf mangal font I choose hindi as language and
    > chosse mangal as font.In the font dialogue box, I
    > see hindi characters quite well.
    > The input does not occur.
    >
    > Kindly help.
    >
    > Once I succeed in inputting hindi I propose to take
    > up translation in Marathi (mr_IN)
    > Regards
    >
    > Jitendra

    Hi Jitendra. It would be very cool to have a Marathi
    translation for AbiWord!
    The problem you have is that you don't have a Hindi or
    Devanagari keyboard set up. I'm guessing that you are
    using Linux. If you were using Windows 2000 or
    Windows
    XP you can choose a keyboard for Hindi and maybe even
    Marathi and AbiWord will mostly work. There will
    probably be problems with ligatures and maybe lines
    will be refreshed differently to how they look as they
    are typed.

    Now if you are using Linux you will have to locate a
    Hindi/Marathi/Devanagari/Sanskrit keymap for X.
    I think there is a project called "Inscript" around
    that deals with this. I don't believe such keymaps
    are included with the current common Linux distros.
    Please search around on the internet and let us know
    what success you have so we can include it in our
    documentation.

    Good luck! Andrew.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com