Re: support for 32-bit Unicode

Subject: Re: support for 32-bit Unicode
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 09:13:28 CST

> Actually it would add at most 1 - 2% to our document-based memory
> requirements. Most of the memory requirements come from the the
> piecetable frags, fp_run, all the const char strings used to define
> text properties and fl_BlockLayout classes used to define our
> document.
Our postings must have crossed :-).

> I won't accept UTF-8 for internal storage.
I was not going to put it that strongly, but that is exactly how I feel
about the issue.

I have just tried to change UT_UCSChar to 32-bit, and there will be
some work associated with the transition, as in places our code
uses UT_uint16 in place of UT_UCSChar!. Also, on Windows, we
will need to provide some 32->16 bit translation, but overall these
changes should be straight forward -- I think we should add this on
the list of immediate post 1.0 changes.

Tomas