Re: Using AbiWord for HTML

Subject: Re: Using AbiWord for HTML
From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 02:53:21 CST

[copying to abi-dev]

> > AbiWord cannot open C:\Temp\junk.htm. It appears to be a bogus or invalid
> > document.
>
> I have the impression that Abiword is very intolerant about anything it
> tries to read. This is where I think the conception of file import is
> wrong; instead of giving up, Abiword should do the best out of the worst
> job.

Sounds like a good idea. If I understand correctly, currently importers
return UT_OK for success, anything else being failure, why not add a
third, "fuzzy" option (e.g., UT_IE_INTERRUPTED)? - In which case, the
"bogus or invalid document" dialog is still displayed but a document
exists and is processed normally.

Or maybe this should be up to individual importers and AbiWord doesn't
care? For example, the (X)HTML importer could append

to what has been read successfully, and return UT_OK - AbiWord is none the
wiser.

On quick note on HTML import: AbiWord's XHTML importer needs the input to
be valid XML and most HTML documents in the wild fail this requirement
very quickly...

Regards, Frank

Francis James Franklin
F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

It's getting them wrong that is living, getting them wrong and wrong and
wrong and then, on careful reconsideration, getting them wrong again.
That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong.
                                                         --- Philip Roth