Re: Fwd: Unicode Private User Area conflict

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 11:42:02 GMT

     --- Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr> wrote: >
    ----- Forwarded message from
    > owner-abiword-dev@abisource.com -----
    >
    > Hello,
    Hi there.

    > I found that the following Unicode Private User
    > character defined in
    > AbiWord 0.9.6 conflicted with our charset:
    >
    > UCS_FIELDSTART 0xe000
    > UCS_FIELDEND 0xe001
    > UCS_BOOKMARKSTART 0xe002
    > UCS_BOOKMARKEND 0xe003
    >
    > I read from the mail archives that these character
    > is actually move from
    > elsewhere. If I move them to other position to
    > resolve the conflict,
    > will that create any drawback? Actually what is the
    > purpose of those
    > special character?
    Yes I moved them. I think we only had the first two
    at that time. They are used internally by AbiWord.
    And are assumed not to be imported by any document.
    This is not a good assumption and we really need to
    redesign this part of the code IMHO to use some kind
    of
    out-of-band data instead of overriding the characters.
    Possibly we can find some true "never to be used"
    characters but I doubt it. The people who know these
    parts of the code (please grep for them) should be
    able
    to discuss the whys, wherefores, and possible
    solutions
    in this list. Before I moved them there were in
    conflicted with illegal and/or BOM codes from memory
    which messed with importers and exporters and
    generally
    seemed like a bad idea.

    > Regards,
    > Fencol Yung

    Hope someone has a good idea to fix this. Merely
    moving them around is probably going to keep breaking
    somebody's private stuff here and there...

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com