Re: Text at bottom of the license agreement

From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@multicert.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 10:28:26 GMT

    The first software freedom is about the freedom to run the program, for
    any purpose. That's the most common usage of a program in userland.

    Technically or not, we can remove the gpl text from the installer. We
    can also murder someone.

    The free software is not just for developers or about source code.

    Hugs, rms

    On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 21:11, Alan Horkan wrote:

    > Technically we could omit the GPL entirely (windows installer)
    >
    > you do not have to agree to abide by the GPL to use the program, you
    > statutary rights under copyright are not affected, it only really matters
    > when you want to use the source.
    >
    > Although it is unlikely we would want to do that
    > (and we would still want to install the file License.txt)
    > and even if we did we would still want to state Abiword uses the GPL, and
    > clearly state that there is no warranty.
    >

    > Before you reply to this post, read it again carefully. I just saying
    > that we could, not that we should or ever would.
    >

    > Sincerely
    > Alan
    >
    > ... who should probably know better than to stir up licensing discussions
    >

    > Food for thought:
    >
    > "In particular, we really needed to have a commercially packaged version of
    > Perl for the Windows folks, because many of them were (and still are)
    > clueless about open source. It's almost like we're doing Windows users a
    > favor by charging them money for something they could get for free."
    > - Larry Wall, creater of the Perl scripting language.
    >

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
    >
    > > Rui Miguel Seabra <rms@multicert.com> wrote in
    > >
    > > > That text you are presuming to be removed, however, are the
    > > > instructions on how to properly add the GNU GPL to
    > > > software, which is part of the GNU GPL and so they must
    > > > stay there.
    > >
    > > Yes, you're right <URL: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-
    > > faq.html#GPLOmitPreamble >.
    > >
    > > --