Re: Font Dialog UI

Subject: Re: Font Dialog UI
From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 02:22:49 CST

 --- David Chart <linux@dchart.demon.co.uk> wrote: >
The Font dialog is inconsistent between Linux and
> Windows. On Linux, there
> is a box labeled 'Encoding'. On Windows, there is a
> similar one labeled
> 'script'. Do they do the same thing? If so, can they
> be given the same name
> on both platforms?

I'm afraid they're not the same. On Linux, "encoding"
has to do with X's 8-bit fonts - you get to choose
which 8-bit encoding to use, unless you're using
TrueType fonts I guess. On Windows they solved the
8-bit font problem back in Windows 3.1 but as a
convenience you can choose by script or writing
system such as Roman, Arabic, Cyrillic etc. On
Linux the user has to know about encodings, on Windows
s/he doesn't.

So they're not the same but they're pretty close at
least in how choosing a font works.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com