Re: Parsons is dying

Subject: Re: Parsons is dying
From: Eric W. Sink (eric@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 08:14:43 CST

> One related issue; since you are more-or-less completely pulling
> out of the AW development, would you please let us use the
> 'official' AW graphics and make 'official' AW builds, rather than just
> 'personal' builds. In particular, we could really use the small
> document icon with the stylish A, the current AW icon with the
> little ant-head is most unsatisfactory, it feels too much like a virus
> struck -- I have seen it cause panic on a decent size University
> network when I have accidentaly associated Word docs with AW.

I thought you were *already* using the 'official' stuff.

The dual-branding idea is Paul Rohr's baby, not mine. I believe he
still wants AbiWord to use it, but I cannot credibly defend that
strategy on his behalf.

Technically speaking, you do not need Paul Rohr's consent to use
the so-called 'official' graphics. SourceGear is the holder of
the registered trademarks, and I speak for SourceGear. Holders of
trademarks are customarily expected to fuss and whine when people
use those trademarks in ways of which they do not approve. As I
have said in the past, I hold this trademark and the domain name
in order to protect AbiWord. If anyone uses the trademark for
something other than AbiWord or for something which is vulgar,
profane, or illegal, then I will fuss and whine.

However, neither I nor SourceGear have any objections to the use
of the 'official' graphics for AbiWord. I have had no such
objections for a long time, and that's why I thought this matter
was resolved already.

Having said that, if Paul still feels strongly about this issue,
I advise you all to respect and hear his opinion, just as you
would respect and hear Dom or Martin or Sam or any other
individual who has worked hard to make AbiWord what it is today.

Bottom line: This is not a legal or trademark related issue.
If it is an issue at all, Paul is the only one who can advocate
the dual-branding approach.

--
Eric W. Sink
eric@sourcegear.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tomas Frydrych" <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net> To: "Eric W. Sink" <eric@sourcegear.com> Cc: <abiword-dev@abisource.com> Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 4:13 AM Subject: Re: Parsons is dying