Documentation

Subject: Documentation
From: David Chart (linux@dchart.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 11:05:07 CST

I've just made a major revision to the structure of abiword-docs. I've
deleted the help sub-directory, and moved all the Abiword help files into
ABW/en-US

I've also reorganised the files into directories, so that their structure
matches that of the help files.

Still to do: Revise Dom's document about spelling, and add the FAQ, bug
report page, and help sources page from the website. I'll probably be able
to move things over from the website this evening, and revise Dom's
document tomorrow. Thus, I think the content of the help files will be done
on time.

I'd like a bit of help with HTMLization.

First, is it possible to write a script to change Normal Clean to Normal
wherever it appears? Normal Clean does not export to as nice XHTML as
Normal.

Second, there doesn't seem to be any way to add relative hyperlinks to
external files. It would be extremely useful to be able to do this, so that
the links could be kept in the abw files, and then exported to XHTML.

Finally, it would be helpful to have a script to convert the files. This
would have to do the following:

Convert the docs to XHTML by passing them through Abi.
Copy the <body> of the doc into a template.
Move the first paragraph into the GNU FDL copyright declaration.
Move the second paragraph into an earlier part of the template.
Copy the third paragraph into the <title> field.
Save the whole document as as XHTML document with the same name as the
exported doc, in a parallel directory.

This looks scriptable to me, and if it is, that would mean that we could
use Abi to maintain the help files, and then just run them through the
script when they are needed for a release. I have no idea how to do it,
though. Any takers? (At the moment, the above needs to be done manually
about sixty times...)

David Chart