Re: post 1.0 layout engine

Subject: Re: post 1.0 layout engine
From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 05:09:57 CST

> (4) Font rendering engine: This is closly related to glyph shaping
> which can be comprehensibly provided only when using font
> technology that can handle multiple glyhps for single Unicode code
> point, such as OpenType. This poses real problem on Unix, since
> the X server font mechanism does not provide this. I am therefore
> toying with the idea of using the freeType library for our font
> rendering; I think on Unix this is almost unavoidable, unless gtk 2.0
> will provide OpenType support, but I think we might want to
> consider using freeType in XP code.

gtk-2.0 uses pango which, I'm pretty sure, uses freetype.

Advanced glyph rendering will be required for SVG support, and I don't know
for sure yet but we may end up using freetype directly... So that's
another reason why an XP interface to freetype is probably a good idea.

Regards, Frank

Francis James Franklin
F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

It's getting them wrong that is living, getting them wrong and wrong and
wrong and then, on careful reconsideration, getting them wrong again.
That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong.
                                                         --- Philip Roth