Re: plugins not working

Subject: Re: plugins not working
From: F J Franklin (F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 07:33:03 CST

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Martin Sevior wrote:
> The rpm supplied plugins don't work. Feel free to submit a bug report to
> bugzilla. I have made the plugins manually and they work fine. There is
> something wrong with the rpm build process here.

I don't know if it's related, but I've been noticing something bizarre
with GTK builds of AbiWord on Linux RH7 - which is to say I haven't tried
any other versions of AbiWord yet, but will tonight probably.

What's strange is that plugins work fine if AbiWord is built with
ABI_OPT_DEBUG=1, but if AbiWord is non-debug then some or all plugins are
not loaded.

Now this could be just me, what with my OS being a major [deleted] up, but
maybe there's something unexpected about non-debug AbiWord?

I'll be looking into it, but would be interested to hear whether anyone
can confirm this odd behaviour.

One other thought about plugin compatibility: I don't know how name
mangling in C++ affects (or doesn't) plugins, because if it does then
AbiWord and its plugins will (probably) have to be compiled with the same
compiler... Does anybody know about such matters?

Regards, Frank

Francis James Franklin
F.J.Franklin@shef.ac.uk

It's getting them wrong that is living, getting them wrong and wrong and
wrong and then, on careful reconsideration, getting them wrong again.
That's how we know we're alive: we're wrong.
                                                         --- Philip Roth