Re: abiword

Subject: Re: abiword
From: Sami Pesonen (spesonen@dlc.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 23:10:04 CST

Added abiword-dev list.

On to, 2002-01-17 at 11:18, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> I had some problems with Abiword po-files.
> They are now in Gnome CVS in the extra-po section.
> The problem is that these files are not very frequently
> updated from the developers' side, and that the .po-files
> are not fed back from the Gnome CVS to the developers.
>
> This has resulted in two independent translations for
> Danish AbiWord. I don't know how many other parallel translations
> that have been done. I also notice that there is no
> good specific instructions in the Gnome CVS for forwarding
> the translations in the Gnome CVS to the authors.

Well I made same thing for Finnish translation. But then I noticed,
that GNOME CVS version is for Abiword 0.9.2 and I knew that
current version was 0.9.6. I then asked about it in #abiword channel
in irc and I was told to use Abiword sources from Abiword CVS.

So I downloaded sources from there and started translating fi.po
file but then I noticed that current Abiword has some strings
translated more than in fi.po file! I knew that Abiword had own
translating system so i searched sources for this additional translated
string that wasn't in fi.po file. It was found in fi.strings and from
there
I found that Abiword was completely translated to Finnish so I
had done about half week nothing usefull ;-(. Translation had done
some guy who uses Windows so he didn't know about .po files.

> Can we do something to remedy this?
> Maybe remove abiword from Gnome CVS?
> Or make an agreement with the authors that the Gnome CVS
> is the correct place to maintain the .po-files?
> As far as I can see, the developers do not have a CVS
> of their own for AbiWord.

I think also, that Abiword should be removed from
GNOME CVS or it should be updated more frequently.
Also Abiwords own string files should be moved to po
files in Abiword cvs more often.

BR,
Sami

--