Re: [Fwd: Patch for bogus font names]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Patch for bogus font names]
From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 11:35:53 CST

> Patch from Bryce. What do others think?
The font substitution has to be thought through and implemented
_before_ any changes like this are committed.

Even though AbiWord does not need the Times New Roman font to
work (if we find it, we use it as the default font to fall back on, if we
do not find it, we use the first font listed in the fonts.dir file as the
fall back font), it is the AbiWord's default font in the Normal style,
plus it is used in all the abw files we distribute with AW. In addition
the vast majority of Word documents uses Times New Roman. So,
(1) we need to be able to handle documents that use Times New
Roman (the same applies to Arial).

(2) we also need to have Times New Roman available for the user
to use, i.e., physically present in the font combo box, so that s/he
can create documents that people outside of the Unix world can
read as s/he intended them -- this was the reason for using the
GhostScript fonts with different names in the first place, and the
renaming resolves this neatly.

I honestly fail to see why registering n021003l.pfb with the system
as Times New Roman is a problem, the name is entirely arbitrary.
The only problem here was using AbiWord as the foundry, and due
to the alphabetical ordering having other applications using AW
fonts; that has been resolved by renaming it to ZZ_AbiWord. In
contrast to this changing the font names solves no problems at all,
but it creates a major new one.

Tomas