Re: Font, layout units et al.

From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 11:53:17 EDT

    I wrote:

    > > Others thing that we can gain with this method is
    > > kerning pairs on screen (word don't seems to have
    > > that, but TeX have had it for years).

    It will not be honest to leave this sentence untouched. I was surprised
    to see no kerning in MS Word, after all, they're already putting the
    characters at the right position, and they have kerning information in
    truetype fonts, so why word was not using it?

    Actually, kerning is an option (in the font menu) disabled by default.
    I missed it the first time.

    So yes, MS Word does kerning (and you also can give your own horizontal
    & vertical advances to each character, so you may write something as
    \latex in Word in the same way than in TeX).

    Cheers,

    --
    Joaquín Cuenca Abela
    cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr