Re: Font, layout units et al.

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 05:57:37 EDT

    --- Karl Ove Hufthammer <huftis@bigfoot.com> wrote:
    > Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca@pacaterie.u-psud.fr>
    > wrote in
    >
    > > Actually, kerning is an option (in the font menu)
    > disabled by
    > > default. I missed it the first time.
    >
    > Do you know when this was first implemented? It's
    > not available in
    > Word 97, at least.

    No idea, sorry. I have it in Word XP, and it seems
    that it was already there at least in Word 2000.

    > And why, oh why, have they *disabled* it by default?
    > Pure
    > incompetence? Or pure evil?

    I'm only guessing, but from what I've collected from
    internet, it seems that:

    1) Normal people don't cares about it.
    2) It hurts performance.
    3) It don't helps too much (it may even hurt) to
    improve readability at screen resolution.

    but:

    4) A few people love it.
    5) It improves the readability of the text at printer
    resolution.
    6) It improves the look of headings (when you pass 14
    points kerning in screen helps a lot to fix things as
    VA spacing).

    So they put it as an option, disabled by default.
    When you active it, you can choose (you have to
    choose) to only activate it on texts greater than ??
    points.

    Cheers,

    =====
    Joaquin Cuenca Abela