Re: Font, layout units et al.

From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 11:25:48 EDT

    Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net> wrote in
    news:3CFCD7E2.553.2FC969@localhost:

    >> Do you know when this was first implemented? It's not
    >> available in Wordá97, at least.
    >
    > Are you sure? This is already present in Word 95 (its on the
    > second tab of the Format->font dialog.

    Wow! You're right. It's there in Word 97 too. I always thought
    that dialog was just for tracking (i.e. 'manual kerning'). Here
    I've been using Word for many years, wishing for kerning support.
    Lack of kerning was actually one of the reaons I switched to
    TeX ...

    Since it has been available all this time, I really wonder why it
    wasn't activated by default.

    Well, I've tested it now, and it seems to work perfectly, both
    with negative and positive kerning (positive kerning, i.e.
    *adding* space between letters is very important for script fonts
    (like the fonts used in weddings invitations)).

    I've put up an example image at
    The first lines contain unkerned (default) text, while the second
    lines contain kerned text.

    --
    Karl Ove Hufthammer