Re: Weird text position while typing in AbiWord >= 0.99.?

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 04:48:07 GMT

    On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Anthony Fok wrote:

    > On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 05:49:41PM -0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
    > > > Thanks very much for neat animated GIF showing the problem. It
    > > > appears that linebreaker method has a bug in doing text layout. I hope
    > > > that Tomas Frydrich can have a look and see if it can be fixed. It may
    > > > just show up in your Chinese locale though. I don't recall seeing this
    > > > bug in English AbiWord.
    > >
    > > This is definitely a line-breaker bug, but as far as I can tell it does
    > > not happen in the English locale, which will make it hard for me to
    > > diagnose.
    >
    > Thanks for the diagnosis! (I didn't know it is called "line-breaker").
    > I or my friends could probably try to fix it, if it is not too difficult.
    > Which file(s) is the line-breaking algorithm in? Thanks for your help! :-)

    Hi Anthony,
               The code is in src/text/fmt/xp/fb_LineBreaker.cpp. This class
    has the job of breaking up a paragraph of text so that it fits in a
    column.

    The way this is done in abiword is that a paragraph of text is stuffed
    into one long
    line. The line is then broken at the width of the column (minus
    indents and margins of course.) So a set of smaller lines of the right
    width are calculated.

    This line breaking happens in fb_LineBreaker.cpp (.h)

    Cheers

    Martin