Commit: ScriptHappy work from KJD

From: Dom Lachowicz (doml@appligent.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 09:53:12 EST

    Win32 scriptHappy work - his latest, up to date stuff not sent to the
    list.

    QUOTE

    For the time being I'm done with it. It works reasonably well for
    me under 2000, including running perl programs via Active Perl.

    This patch completely replaces my previous ones, its a little nicer
    looking I think (I moved some windows only functions into their own
    file).

    It also requires a patch to ap_EditMethods so the command is properly
    escaped when there are spaces. The included patch simply encaspulates
    the program with quotes. I don't do this within popen as it would
    screw up any arguments also passed in.

    Things for someone else to look into if they desire:
    1) character encoding, output may include cp437/cp850/??? high ASCII
    characters,
        which will show up as ? or some other weird character.
        I'm used to this and gave up figuring how to properly map the
    characters.

    2) Win95 (98/se/me ???) support isn't near as good. Only *.com & *.exe
    files
       are supported, and perhaps not as well. Invoking command.com causes
       AbiWord to stop responding. Maybe I'll look into this again later,
    but
       for now I don't have a clue and don't really care.

    3) Its really cool! and for Windows you can actually interact with the
    child
       program via its stdin if so desired. If the program outputs to
    stderr, then
       we bring up a dialog box that displays up to about the 1st KB of it.
    If
       only it prompted for arguments I'd be content. :-)