Re: what gives?

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 05:59:06 EST

    On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 10:20, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
    > > On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 09:26, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > > > Because he did them right away and uploaded them to sourceforge thus
    > > > saving me lots of time.

    > > You know perfectly well I won't do that, and I don't think a little
    > > laziness compensates for all the work done.

    > If you call being up for 36 hours straight lazy your crazy. I've been
    > hacking constantly on abiword for 2 whole years. I have done tons of
    > work for the project. If someone saves me some time by showing me some
    > consideration then I certainly take them up on it.

    Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT misinterpret what I said. I'm not talking about
    code. That doesn't save you more time than including a link for an
    alternative download site.

    Also, it does not have to be you uploading to sourceforge.

    > To transfer all the rpms from site to another I have to do about 100
    > megabytes of transfers. That is real time and bandwidth wasted.

    So, why not even mention the url? Does it transfer many megabytes to
    include a link? Oh iu forgot, you think it is confusing... so let's read
    your argument for confusion...

    > > > Why confuse people with two download sites?
    > > What, providing an alternate site for download is confusing? You really
    > > lost me on that.
    > We have a website setup for directing people to the builds of abiword that
    > best suit their needs. This includes windows and mac users. I would like
    > as many people as possible to visit our website so that we have a chace to
    > get a bit more publicity and give them a chance to learn more us. All
    > simple, sensible marketing.

    But you said that it would be confusing! This is not an argument for the
    link confusing users!
    So if it's not a case of causing confusion to users, then let's not hold
    on to a false "holy grail".

    The web site can (at no huge cost) point to a link to an alternative
    download. It may even be faster for some users.
    I do not say that download.phtml is a refresh url for savannah's link,
    ok? If I go there it automagically figures out I'm on a redhat machine
    and show's me links to the rpms at sourceforge.

    So what you're doing is only:
      * disrespect completely my work
        You didn't even talk to me, not even when I asked you about
        including a link in the announcement, you just said that I could
        post it if I so wished. And so I did. But I could do that anyway.
      * not providing an alternative place for download
        Some users may feel that another website may have a faster download
        Some users may not feel inclined towards supporting sourceforge, as
        I am not.

    Regards, rms

    + So let's do it...?