Re: RFC: bug #2742

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 10:28:03 EST

    Oops, I just replied individually instead of to the
    list. Apologies for those of you now getting your
    second copy ):

     --- Tomas Frydrych <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net>
    wrote: >
    > > I'm strongly in favour of solution 1 above. If
    > the
    > > problem is just with certain formats then we
    > should
    > > fix only those formats. Especially when those
    > > formats otherwise support RTL documents.
    > Otherwise
    > > we are second-guessing what user wanted which
    > > character
    > > in which position in which document. And that
    > will
    > > surely lead to subtle bugs.
    >
    > Solution 2 is not about guessing what the user
    > wanted. It is about
    > designing the fix in a manner that would allow us to
    > share it
    > between various importers that need it (and only
    > those that need it).

    By second guessing I'm talking about guessing whether
    the document really meant to include bracket chars
    which look like the are "backwards" )such as this(.
    Maybe you are suggesting a function within the main
    Abi code which is called by the importer. Reading
    again it does look like this. Just wanted to clear
    it up. If this is the case then I surely can back up
    suggestion number 2 as well (:

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net http://www.abisource.com