Re: abiword-0.99.3: font path problem on hp-ux 11.x

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 12:30:29 EST

    Hi Martin,
    > DEBUG: found non-directory entry in existing fontpath [tcp/:7000]
    > Window pops up with the message: Abiword was not able to add its
    > fonts to the X font path ....
    This means that AW is not able to modify the existing font path on start
    up. The problem is the font server connected on port 7000 -- the internal
    AW mechanism can only modify fontpaths that only contain directories.
    All that it means is that you have to add the AbiWord font path directly
    and permanently to the xserver configuration (in X86Config). You can
    then turn this warning off in Tools->Preferences
    > these directories and files are missing:
     /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts/de
     /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts/iso88591/fonts.dir
     /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts/de-DE/fonts.dir
     /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts/de-DE.iso88591/fonts.dir
    > and I think that in each fontpath a file fonts.dir must exist.
    No, these are merely different directories that your fonts could be in
    (base on your locale), AW looks if each of them exists and if not, it
    ignores it. Your fonts are in the base fonts directory, and have been
    correctly loaded.
    > # xset fp+ /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts
    > xset: bad font path element (#42), possible causes are:
    > Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    > Directory missing fonts.dir
    > Incorrect font server address or syntax
    I think this too fails because of the font server on port 7000 (the
    code used in AW to set the font path is based on the xset code),
    but once you add /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts by hand to the font path
    AW should work.
    Tomas