Re: commit: abiword-plugins: AbiCommand build system fixes

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 17:16:30 EST

    On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, F J Franklin wrote:

    > Martin: this seems to be a very UNIXy plugin - is that deliberate?

    It wasn't deliberate in the sense that I wanted to exclude other platforms
    - just that the it seemed to be a natural match with the UnixPSGraphics
    class. I've written the AbiCommand class in such a way that the mathods
    can be made pure vurtual and subclassed to different platforms. However I
    didn't want to go to the trouble of actually doing that yet. The
    AbiCommand plugin is very experimental and I'm sure we'll need to play
    with it for a while. Once we're happy we can see if the concept can be
    implemented on other platforms.

    The AbiCommand plugin is meant to be the basis of a whole raft of
    server-side word processing applications. Like running a interpreter for
    form letter creation. Listening on a socket as a daemon for on-the-fly
    document generation or editting, thumb nail generation of icons for
    nautilus or other file managers, envolope printing or for a
    CORBA/COM/SOAP/.NET service.

    The advantange of using UnixPSGraphics as a model for the Unix NULL
    graphics class is that no X11 resources are needed. So in principle you
    could run abiword on a server with no X11 session running and no overhead
    of creating and allocating X11 resources. I didn't know if such was
    possible on win and other platforms anyway.

    Thanks very much for solving the problem. I don't know if I could have
    ever worked it out.

    Cheers!

    Martin