Re: Bidi and Arabic support

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 07:19:28 EST

    On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Mumtaz Ahmed wrote:

    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have installed Abiword 1.0.3 under windows 2000. I
    > want to use Abiword to type a manuscript in Arabic and
    > English. I have TITUS Cyberbit Basic uniocde font
    > downloaded from
    > http://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/unicode/tituut.asp
    > .
    >
    > Here is what I have done: I set Tools--Set Langauge to
    > Arabic. Click on "force RTL direction of text" button.
    > Then select font (TITUS Cyberbit Basic). It gives me
    > English letters, and does not let me type Arabic.
    >
    > How do I configure Abiword to let me type Arabic.

    My *GUESS* is that you have to somehow configure Windows to put Arbic
    keycodes into abiword. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do that. (I
    don't use windows or speak Arabic :-) I hope that someone else on the list
    who has overcome similar problems can help. We have had success stories
    from other Arabic users here and I know that AbiWord is used routinely in
    Hebrew.

    I'll CC the developer list too. Once we get this sorted out this
    information should definately get posted to the AbiWord twiki. (A user
    editable encyclopedia containing useful info about how to use AbiWord.)

    Cheers

    Martin